Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The "Dear John" Letter: Overcoming and Growing from a Rejection Letter, by Janet



Yesterday I received the business version of a "Dear John" letter from a company I submitted my resume to. The letter was to thank me for submitting my resume and to serve as notification that they had other candidates that better matched what they were looking for. I was not being considered.


A blow to the ego (and pocket book) but I knew I’d find a way to grow from this.

I went back to the job posting, because I save a copy of every job I apply for (I’m like that), and went over the qualifications being required. I then went to my resume and cover letter that I submitted to confirm that what I wrote, to this organization, was professional and suitable for the position (and yes, I checked for typos and other grammar issues to confirm that what I sent didn't make me look like a bumbling idiot).

I confirmed that my years of marketing experience, my skill sets and abilities matched the requirements the employer was seeking. If this organization was using software to whittle down the top applicants, every key word they put in their job posting was embedded into my resume and cover letter. There was no way I couldn’t have been at least tossed into the “potential pool” of candidates. I know I owned all of the qualifications they were seeking for the position.

I’m not bitter by the letter, just mystified why I couldn’t make the initial interview round. I wished the rejection letter wouldn’t have been so generic. I wished they could have given me a bit more insight as to why I couldn’t even get through the door for an interview, but I know legally, they can’t and don’t want to give specific details.

I’m left to sort it out on my own. Am I too old? Does my resume suck? Do I want too much money? Do they think I’m some has-been marketing woman who isn’t up-to-the-minute on the latest marketing technology available to drive sales and build relations? Well, if that is the case, then they are wrong on every point…well, accept my age, I can’t deny that I’m getting old, but I’m still a powerful force for any organization. I still have many (and I mean many, I’m a Beaudry for God’s sake) great marketing years in front of me.

If it was my resume, I will continue to fine tune it. I recently had three "hiring professionals” review my documents and presentation tools with the goal to help me make the strongest presentation of my capabilities as possible. I'm implementing their recommendations. I’m also adding additional technology to my search efforts to help me get noticed.

As for the "has-been" comment, I'm not. I've continued to focus my energy on learning and applying new technology, social and new media outlets, and other relevant tools designed to market to consumers and businesses into my skill sets. I'm determined to keep ahead of the marketing curve (I’m not about catching up, I'm about leading). And, finally I am staying sharp and ready for my next marketing leadership role.

I won’t refute that the letter was a disappointment to receive, but I have moved on. I really have no other choice, right? I’m going to continue to do things that will position me for greatness. I’m going to find the right company that will embrace hiring a marketing person like me. Receiving this letter doesn’t slow me down. It has, in fact, inspired me to do more so that I can get to where I’m destined to be in my professional career.

No comments:

Post a Comment