Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dawn of the Working, by Janet

Yesterday I had a meeting at 8:00 am. It was odd to be up, dressed, and driving in my car with "the working". It’s not that I’m not up and dressed by 8:00 am each morning (even though I’m unemployed I still like to get up early and pretend I have a job to go to) but it’s the driving part that had me mystified today. I forgot what morning rush hour traffic is like in Denver. I don’t miss it.

I looked at all the other drivers and couldn’t get over their expressions (or lack thereof). No, I didn’t expect gleeful smiles, waves, or drivers swaying happily to music in their front seat, but I didn’t expect to see nothing but sour faces, expressionless stares, and everyone looking so unhappy. I thought, for a moment, I was in a made-for-television-movie with zombies taking over Interstate 25. It made me laugh. I thought they should be showing more emotions than this. They are, for all that is pure, the "working". They are not one of the 14.3 million people having to figure out how to find a job in this lackluster economy. I wanted to roll down my window and shout out “Be happy, you’re off to work! You have a job! You can put food on your table! You have health insurance (okay, so maybe its costing you way too much each month...but you have it)! You have other people to talk to besides a cat!” (no offense Snuggles) But I didn’t.

I know working isn’t fun. I know, right now, there are many employees counting down the number of hours until the weekend starts so they can be out doing something else. One of my old bosses used to say “that’s why they call it work and not Hawaii.” She said it a lot (which was completely annoying) but I have to admit it was a perfect saying for yesterday's drive.

Maybe work should be more like Hawaii.

If you are reading this and you are working. Get it together. Get in there and work. Get things done. Focus on helping your company grow so that they’ll start hiring. Do your work with energy, humor, dedication and pass it on to someone else in the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment