Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Take Charge | Pick Up the Phone, by Janet

I realized yesterday that in my blog, “I’ve discovered a black hole in the universe”, I might have sounded a bit “snotty”. In one part I wrote: “If physic departments around the world want to know where I found the many black holes, they exist where ever you have to click “submit” on a search engine or company website to send your resume. Once I’ve done my part, I have no idea where my resume goes after that.”

It was a bit selfish on my part. I realize I have to do more than just submit a resume. I have to dig deeper. I have to find the contact person and find a way to follow up. Yes, that means more work for those of us seeking employment. You have to pick up the phone. You have to “cold call”, in its purest form, the person in the hiring position and let them know you have submitted your resume (even if it means simply leaving a message). No, I'm not recommending that you hound them every day by calling and emailing, and no, don’t call if the job posting specifically says no phone calls. But you have to find a way to break through the comfort zone of simply submitting a resume on line, and a phone call is one way. You have to make human contact.

Finding a job takes diligence. It will not be found by submitting a resume and waiting around. You have to take charge. It’s my new mantra.

No comments:

Post a Comment