Wednesday, July 22, 2009

"Four Months, No Sign of Work", by Janet

I was laid off from my job 4 months ago today. I can’t believe that it has been that long (honestly, it just seems like yesterday I was packing my belongings, signing final paperwork, and hugging fellow co-workers goodbye).

I remember my first full day of unemployment. I was at our church attending a meeting with other people who had lost their job (not as depressing as it sounds). I thought for sure I’d only be in this situation for a few weeks (tops). I remember hearing the leader of our group say “for every $10,000 you want to earn, you can expect to be unemployed for one month.” Really, so if I want to make $60,000 it will take me six months to find work? And, if I want to make more I can expect longer. I thought he was crazy. I willed myself to believe that my talents would be seen quickly in the business community and I’d be snatched up faster than you can post your resume on Monster.com. I'd crush his theory.

Well, I'm wrong and he's right. I’m now looking intently at four months and I continue to search for work. But all is not lost. While I’m searching I’m also doing a few things that I have always wanted to do (and secretly I’m enjoying myself). Please don’t get me wrong, I have the worries that come with unemployment (paying bills, saving for college for my two girls, and making ends meet), but now is my time to stretch my entrepreneur wings and take flight on new things that I’m truly passionate about and do so while time (unfortunately) is on my side.

So even though this anniversary comes quickly, I will celebrate the time and work towards finding the right company that would be thrilled to have my passion for marketing, new media, social networking, sales, and brand that will help them drive their business.

No comments:

Post a Comment