Monday, May 18, 2009

Good Boss | Bad Boss, by Janet


We’ve all had a good boss. The boss that we still talk about because he or she was great at their job, understood what it took to motivate, inspire, reward, and push during tough times to build a team. And, we’ve all had a bad boss at one time in our career. The guy or gal we try to erase from our memories because they lacked leadership and made continuous bad decisions that in the end, harmed the company…but for some reason they still remain on some company’s payroll and I’m the one out looking for work (go figure).

I’ve been a “boss” most of my life and I believe the people who I have managed appreciated my leadership style (I guess if they didn’t, they’ll comment on this blog). I’m still a “boss”, but due to my unemployment status, I’m now the boss of one. At a recent staff meeting it was unanimously determined that I would take the role of a “good” boss. I have to be a good leader. I have to apply the key traits of my favorite mentors and incorporate them to this situation.

As my “boss” I’m dedicated to walking-the-walk and talking-the-talk to live a positive (and happy) life. This means I dedicate time to read and reflect on inspirational work; to find and connect with people (both working and not working); to spend quiet times with my husband (talking and listening about all things happening in our lives) and I must hug my beautiful stepdaughters (because I never thought I’d have children to share my life with). I work hard to keep myself (and my friends also seeking work) motivated. I allow myself to laugh, and in all honesty to cry. I listen to others and I’m present to everyone and anyone I come in contact with. I keep telling them (and in turn, me) that it’s all going to be okay (because it will be).

I refuse to bring forward the traits and emotional baggage of the “bad boss”. Instead I’ve embraced my unemployment destiny by using the same passion, humor, and energy that my favorite bosses (Chuck Pecoraro with Great American, Rebecca Sonniken and Carol Walden with the Hahn Company, and Tad McMurray – my very first boss at Tastee Freeze) did. These "good bosses" taught me that you must rise above disappointments, overcome challenges, fight for what is right, and you will come back better (and stronger) because of it.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment