Friday, May 22, 2009

Staying Motivated, by Janet

I’ve gained 8 pounds over the last year and I’m certain most of the weight packed on happened since I lost my job (now 2 months ago). Yikes, I need to get this in control. Nothing wrong with gaining weight (because it happens) but when you are gaining because you are doing nothing all day but sitting at the computer looking for work and grazing in the kitchen, there is something that needs to be addressed (for me it is a job and food).

Unemployment has its moments where it can suck every ounce of motivation out of every cell in your body. You can’t understand this unless you are living through unemployment (trust me). It’s overcoming these unmotivated moments and building from them that will change the situation.

Over the last few weeks my motivation has swayed a bit. Although I try to fight it, I’ve noticed that I’m challenged more often as the weeks of unemployment pass. I thought I’d have a job by now (everyone who's unemployed thinks this) and I realize now that it could be months before it does. This realization was a blow to my ego. With each passing week without the ability to interview, each network opportunity that fizzles down to nothing, and with each resume sent into the black hole called “apply now” and you hear nothing back, you have to find new strength.

It's funny to watch how motivation changes week after week. I started out (week one) thinking being laid off was good for me. It was the change I needed to find the right (better and more rewarding) job. Now (week eight) I've started having moments of panic, counting every penny, and then I started doing too many (wrong) things to find a job. I lost my focus and my motivation was living in a dish of ice cream. This week I made myself stop, regroup, look at my finances, reevaluate what was important and what career path that I really want to take, and I stepped up my daily exercise regime (which was screaming for help). I’ve meet with a good friend who is a “PR expert” and we are creating a new way to get the attention of people wanting to hire someone for marketing, sales, and/or the other talents I posses.

By taking action and regaining control I have felt a new wave of motivation. I realize now I will have to keep adjusting things to keep my motivation steady, but I'm committed to doing so. This I'm certain will help me find work and drop the “unemployment pounds” I’ve gained.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend! Don’t forget to thank those in the military and their families for fighting for our freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment