Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Going Up? Build a Smart Elevator Speech, by Janet


The other day I was in an elevator after a networking opportunity and I was heading down a few floors to my car that was parked in the garage. I don’t particularly like elevators (I’ll admit I’m a classic claustrophobic) but a ride on the elevator was an opportunity to be have a few solitary minutes with potential companies seeking people to hire. I’m not saying I was the right person for the specific jobs that they were trying to fill, but what I am saying is that I might be the right person to work for their company (they just don’t know it - yet).

I figured this was my opportunity to say something and get my foot in the door for future openings. I started with small talk in the hallway before the elevator arrived to get the conversation moving. We got in, the doors shut, my blood pressure went up slightly and one of the hiring managers asked me: “What are you looking to do?” I stumbled with a response (which is shocking, because for those who know me know that I can think on my feet and say something smart and targeted but today I was off my game). I had this trapped audience (maybe not a good word when talking about riding an elevator) and a prime opportunity to showcase who I am and I messed up. I did not have my personal, targeted elevator speech down to make a great impression.

Everyone needs an elevator speech.

An elevator speech is a 30 second speech that succinctly and memorably introduces you. It spotlights your uniqueness. If focuses on the benefits you provide and should be delivered in the time span of an elevator ride, making it short and sweet and to the point.

I did manage to say something, but I decided during my drive home that I need to work on this. When I got home I sat down and thought about my elevator speech and here is what I came up with:

Hello, my name is Janet Jerde. I help companies drive profits, deliver value for investors, grow brand, and retain and grow customers through smart, effective, and result driven advertising, Internet marketing and social networking, sales, and customer retention programs.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment