Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Recession Roller Coaster, by Janet


The recession just got a little personal. I was laid off recently (4 weeks and counting). My friend Jill has been out of work since December (I took that personally too). I didn’t understand what she meant by the "emotional roller coaster" that comes along with being released from your job when I called her to tell her about my situation, but after 4 weeks of not going into the office I believe the carnival has arrived and I have my e-ticket in hand. It is an emotional time to not be working but I must allow myself to enjoy the ride.

I think the “roller coaster effect" for me comes from (or who I kindly place blame on) my workaholic parents that raised me and my siblings to work. I like working. I need to work. I was told to work. I was picking beans in a bean field outside of Springfield, Oregon before I was 7 years old (Hello, what was my mother thinking! She used to load me, my brother and sisters into her 1963 Volkswagen at 5 am and we would drive to the fields and work). I’ve worked all my life, so to have this “temporary coffee break” seems unusual, a bit scary, but it's also thrilling.

For the first time in my life I’m taking a moment to figure out the next step. I’m giving myself the personal time to network, meet with friends, and become a better family, church, and community member. Yes, it is scary. There are ups, downs, times when I have felt slightly ill and times that I have found it to be very exhilarating. I'm completely okay with the idea that the search for my next career opportunity may feel like a ride on a roller coaster but I'm determined to sit in the front car, eyes wide open and I’m not holding on. If you are in the same situation, let’s sit by each other on the next ride and together we'll make it interesting!

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment