Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Process for Finding Employment, by Janet


In an earlier blog I said stop, drop and re-think your process for finding employment. I’m taking my own recommendations (no lie) and I completed my strategy plan for work.

I wrote down the things I loved about my past jobs. I identified the projects, tasks, and responsibilities that gave me the greatest level of satisfaction. Everything boiled down to actions I took that drove positive revenue for my employers (duh, that seems obvious when writing this but there were times in my career when I have been caught in the "weeds" at work, due to limited staff or resources, and while the “weed tasks” were necessary to complete, your ability to focus on the big picture revenue actions can become tangled). Originally my list was long, so I drilled down the responsibilities to target key actions that drove company profits and, equally important, things I completely enjoyed.

I came up with: 1) the development and implementation of strategic marketing initiatives (analytics, design, program development and implementation, and processes for release and communications); 2) new product launch (brand development, market positioning, guidelines, training, measurement tools and sales analysis; 3) social network marketing (especially the Organic means of driving first-time visitors to a site and the tools to build long-term relations); and 4) media and consumer relationship marketing. I also made a list of companies I want to work for and why I want to work for them. I have 20 companies in the greater Denver area that made the list.

I merged these two lists and now I’m evaluating each company and how my talents and experience would benefit them (as I mentioned in my previous blog I’m determined to choose my path for employment. This means I have to stop sending out random resume emails as if they were ransom notes for employment).

I’m now completing my due diligence with the companies identified to see if the work culture is one that I would want to be a part of and if there are positions within the organization that match my talents. In tandem, I’m searching my social networks, talking to friends, family, church members, and other community network groups to see who people know and how I can get introduced. This will take a bit of time to uncover. If I can’t find the right contact within the organization from my discovery efforts, then I’m going to try another way to get myself in front of the right person at the right company.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment