Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Positively Positive, by Jill


If you have ever heard of or have taken the “Strengthfinders” questionnaire then you know at least your top five strengths, if not your top 10 or potentially all 34. If you have no idea to what I am referring to, check out www.strengthfinders.com.
One of my key strengths is “positivity” (it is my fourth strength of many). At this point you might be saying, “And this helps me how, Jill?” Well I will tell you positivity has helped me through my various stages of unemployment. You see I have been a member of the RIF (reduction in force) movement three times in the past four years. Yes folks two of which were in 2008 (heavy sigh). My husband joined the ranks of the unemployed about a month ago (heavier sigh).

Every day we both see our situation as an opportunity, not an obstacle (smile). Keeping a positive attitude and humor has been my salvation and my way to get through it. Don’t misunderstand, there are days that I could stay in my pj’s all day (done that) and thought, “I don’t really need to get out of bed today” (said that). First, when you do happen to get out of bed, you may feel sorry for yourself and stew in your pity pot. Let me be the first to tell you that to have one of those days now and again is okay. However, I do emphasize only one of those days now and again.

While Janet and I do not claim to be experts, we do lean on each other to keep things positive. Following are a few things I have found helpful to keep my attitude upbeat.

Identify what inspires you. Write down a few things that inspire you or take you to your happy place. Write it in a journal, on a chalkboard, a dry erase board, or even paint it on your wall, no matter what is a person, a place, a book, a song, a pet or an object — something that helps break the cycle of sadness.

Call a friend that makes you laugh. (I have Janet and she has me). Stay away from the negative Nelly’s, the downer Debbie’s and the sad Sara’s. Trust me I can send myself into a downward spiral fast enough, I don’t need anyone’s help for that. A funny friend is sure-fire cure, as we all know laughter is the best medicine.

Limit the amount of time you watch the news daily. Don’t misunderstand it is critical to stay informed on life, local and world issues but it is essential for you to choose your attitude or your outlook yourself. Don’t be bogged down or freaked out by media phrases like — crisis, worst in history, bleak outlook, and more layoffs – you get my drift.

Practice a random act of kindness. Make someone you know (or don’t) smile. Give people compliments; pick something up when someone drops something near you; hold the door open for someone. You get the idea.

Take a moment and be grateful for something (or someone) in your life. Your friends, your home, your dog, your health, your ability to sing well in the shower, the fact that two friends have created a fantastic blog for you to read.....Practice this phrase. I am grateful for (fill in the blank). Focusing on being thankful will help refocus your energy to the positive.

Get outside. Five to 10 minutes of sun a day is all you need to get a good dose of Vitamin D – not to mention you feel better when the sun shines (Don’t forget the sunscreen).

My last tip (well at least for this entry) is to read the book, “Life is Good”. This book provides life hints for happiness and positivity. It's your daily reminder to stay positive. Remember, a smile is contagious. Optimism breeds optimism. It takes fewer muscles to smile then frown. May the sun shine on you and your day be filled with laughter and joy!

Hugs

No comments:

Post a Comment